School Food Generation Project
To implement the development of a secure control system for nutrition products in educational establishments through the principles of HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point).
THE MAIN ELEMENTS OF THE PROJECT:
- To implement HACCP standards — healthy, balanced nutrition in secondary education institutions;
- To conduct practical training to the target audience about the main aspects of the HACCP;
- To conduct analytical study and develop “Policy Paper”;
- To upgrade two canteens at secondary schools of Donetsk and Luhansk regions;
- To develop an awareness-raising campaign on the basics of safe nutrition and to implement HACCP standards.
Educational project activities implemented by the NGO “Poruch”:
- 9-day educational program for 40 community representatives;
- 16-day training program for 30 animators;
- workshops for students of vocational education (2 groups of 20 people);
- Training of 100 students of secondary and vocational education establishments;
- Educational and motivational camp for 40 pupils and students of vocational education;
- 30 3-hour seminars for teachers and parents.
Food quality and safety issues, as well as the prevention of diarrhoeal and other infectious diseases, including the spread of Covid-19, reveal several current social and economic problems in Ukraine: low level of medical services, high mortality caused by infectious diseases, problems with the general culture and a small percentage of vaccinated population, along with the lack of efficient infrastructure to ensure sanitary and epidemiological safety measures. Currently, more than 5 million children are taking meals the at Ukrainian schools and kindergartens. In 2019 alone, 38% of Ukrainian schools and kindergartens registered cases of eating disorders among children. That’s why it is significant to adhere to the principal provisions of the HACCP control food quality system.
School Food Generation is carried out within the project “Introduction of sanitary norms of food quality following HACCP regulations on food safety control and improvement of non-sanitary conditions in canteens of public educational establishments in Donetsk and Luhansk regions (controlled by the Government of Ukraine)”, implemented by ICF Yellow-Blue Wings and the NGO “Poruch”, in partnership with Kinderhilfswerk ChildFund Deutschland, with financial support from the Bundesministerium für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung (BMZ).